Peter A. Koziol, Esq.
Registered Patent Attorney
Peter A. Koziol concentrates his practice in litigation, patent application prosecution and commerce. Mr. Koziol has experience taking cases from initial planning through judgment, appeal, post judgment execution, garnishment, and collection.
Mr. Koziol's background includes representing defendants and plaintiffs in a variety of business disputes involving: patents; copyrights; trademarks; unfair competition; trade secrets; computer fraud; and, deceptive and unfair trade practices. He has led a number of cases involving digital millennium copyright issues such as: violation of technical protection measures; removal of copyright management information; and, online service provider liability. Mr. Koziol represents clients before the International Centre for Dispute Resolution, the American Arbitration Association, and a number of state and United States District Courts.
Mr. Koziol also provides patentability searches, trademark clearance searches, infringement/non-infringement opinions, and other legal advice. He represents clients in inter-partes disputes, including oppositions, cancellations, concurrent-use proceedings, and interferences within the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences.
Mr. Koziol's background in software development, business analysis, and business management guide his legal practice. He is an experienced computer programmer with an understanding of a variety of computer languages, including but not limited to: C; C++; C#; perl; java; pascal; prolog; lisp; and, assembly.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Intellectual Property & Patent Litigation
- Copyright, Trademark and Patent Registration
- Media, Art and Entertainment Law
- State of Florida
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, Registered Patent Attorney
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, J.D
Honors: Law Technology and the Arts Concentration: Law and the Arts Stream
Recipient, Center for Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction (CALI) Award for Copyright Litigation
Recipient, CALI Excellence for the Future Award for Law and the Visual Arts
State University of New York at Albany , Albany , New York , B.A. Computer Science
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- ΦΔΦ - Phi Delta Phi International Ethics and Legal Honors Fraternity (PDP)
- International Barristers' Society
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Structured Products Association (SPA)
Publications, Articles and Quotes
- Morley, Hugh R., Youngest person charged by SEC now in Wayne and in hot water again (North Jersey, The Record, Sunday, June 27, 2010).
- Peter E. Berlowe, Laura Berlowe-Heinish and Peter A. Koziol, Protection of the Moral Rights of the Digital Graphic Artist, Florida Bar Journal (2007), republished in 25 The Computer & Internet Lawyer 21 (2008).
Notable Reported Cases
- M2M Solutions LLC v. Simcom Wireless Solutions Co., Ltd., --- F.Supp.2d ----, 2013 WL 1296753 (D.Del. 2013).
- Medimport S.R.L. v. Cabreja, --- F.Supp.2d ----, 2013 WL 1003625 (S.D.Fla. 2013).
- Export Development Canada v. Xacore, Inc., Case No: 8:12-CV-1244-T-17EAJ, 2013 WL 57693, (M.D.Fla. Jan. 03, 2013)
- Medimport, S.R.L. v. Cabreja, Case NO. 12-22255-CIV, 2012 WL 3632580 (S.D.Fla. July 31, 2012)
- In re Barkley International Incorporated, 2011 WL 1775951 (T.T.A.B. 2011).
- APP Pharmaceuticals, LLC v. Ameridose, LLC, Civil Action No. 10–4109-JAP (D.NJ) (patent litigation involving anesthetic drug known as ropivacaine).
- GFSI, Inc. v. Comfort Knitwears(PVT), Ltd., --- F.Supp.2d ----, 2010 WL 2990188 (D.Kan. July 29, 2010).
- AVVA-BC v. Amiel, --- So.3d ----, 2009 WL 3446475 (Fla. 3d DCA Oct. 28, 2009).
- Cantiere Nautico Cranchi, S.p.A. v. Luxury Marine Group, LLC, 2009 WL 3538722 (S.D. Fla. Oct. 28, 2009).
- Design Bureau Corp. v. Colvin, 2009 WL 2576372, (S.D. Fla. Aug. 19, 2009).
- Stockwire Research Group, Inc., et. al. v. Lebed, et. al., 577 F. Supp. 2d 1262, 2008 WL 4279507 (S.D. Fla. Sept. 18, 2008).
Peter A. Koziol, Esq.
Connect to Peter A. Koziol on Linked
Patent Attorney / Business Litigation
Assouline & Berlowe, P.A.
2700 N. Military Trail, Suite 150
Boca Raton, Florida 33431