Labor and Employment
Assouline & Berlowe assists clients with a full-range of labor and employment-related litigation in the State and federal courts as well as representing clients before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Department of Labor, the Florida Commission on Human Relations, the Agency for Workforce Innovation, and the Public Employees Relations Commission. Among others, cases have included, but are not limited to the following:
- actions for misappropriation of trade secrets
- age, race, disability, gender and other forms of discrimination and retaliation
- breach of partnership
- claims for unpaid wages or overtime pay
- enforcement of non-compete and non-solicitation agreements
- injunctive relief
- overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act
- sexual harassment claims
- theft of trade secrets
Wherever possible, and in an effort to avoid future litigation, the Firm counsels clients on various preventative measures that may be undertaken to minimize the risk of litigation, including:
- Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 regulations
- Fair Labor Standards Act regulatory requirements and claims
- developing and implementing workplace discrimination and harassment policies and practices
- investigating and remedying harassment and discrimination complaints
- implementing diversity programs
- analyzing and evaluating employee handbooks and personnel policies
- preparation of confidentiality, employment, independent contractor, non-compete separation, severance, and other employment-related agreements
- records retention requirements and programs
- train employees and managers
Ellen M. Leibovitch, a Florida Bar, Board Certified Labor and Employment Lawyer, heads our Labor and Employment Law Practice. Ms. Leibovitch is a member of our Business Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice. Practice members also include:
Sheri M. Alter, With 25 years of experience, Sheri Alter provides legal services and solutions for a wide variety of business and real estate related issues.
Meredith J. Gussin, is Of Counsel to the Firm and a resident of the Miami office. She is a member of our Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice.
Peter E. Berlowe, a co-founder of the firm who heads our Corporate and Finance Practice and our Business Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice.
Eric N. Assouline, a firm co-founder who also heads our Business Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice and our Creditors Rights & Bankruptcy Practice.
10 Common Mistakes U.S. Employers Make When Trying To Comply With Employment Laws - by Ellen M. Leibovitch - LawyerIssue