Michael S. GreenePartner
Michael S. Greene concentrates his practice in the areas of real estate development and finance, real estate acquisition, sale and leasing, construction law, construction contracting and claims resolution, indoor environmental and disaster preparation and recovery, ADA and Accessibility Code, Fair Housing Act hospitality law, land use and zoning law, healthcare facilities, including nursing homes and senior living projects, trademark and copyrights for owners, design professionals and manufacturers, and alcoholic beverage licensing. He represents developers, institutional and entrepreneurial building owners, purchasers, sellers, landlords and tenants, contractors, mold assessors and remediators.
In 2011, Mr. Greene was selected as a Finalist, Dealmakers of the Year, 2011, by the Daily Business Review. Mr. Greene has been recognized by The South Florida Legal Guide “Top Lawyers” (2008-2014) and by SuperLawyers (2006) and is AV Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
J.D., University of Florida Frederic G. Levin College of Law
Bachelor of Building Construction, University of Florida
With high honors
Order of the Coif
Member, Florida Blue Key
Advisory Board Member for the University of Florida’s Bergstrom Center for Real Estate Studies
Planning Committee for the University of Florida’s Bergstrom Center for Real Estate Studies 2014 Trends Conference
Planning Committee for the University of Florida’s Bergstrom Center for Real Estate Studies 2013 Trends Conference
Alliance of Corporate Real Estate Executives and Specialists, Executive Committee
Committee Member, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Great Strides Walk, Fort Lauderdale 2013
American Bar Association; (Served on Committee of Forum on the Construction Industry)
Indoor Air Quality Association; Board Member (1997-2006)
- Represented major Bahamas resort in connection with joint venture with international casino resort developer and manager for new casino, ferry enterprise and resort management agreements.
- Represented a national real estate fund in the acquisition of a two-tower mixed-use condominium and commercial project in downtown Miami, and restructuring of condominium regime.
- Represented developer of a mixed-use office, retail, hotel, condominium and condominium-hotel project in Miami in restructuring the master association and condominium regime.
- Represented a Mexican bank in the restructuring of a loan on a prominent South Beach hotel, including termination of condominium-hotel regime.
- Represented developer of condominium-hotel project in Jaco, Costa Rica.
- Represented developer of resort project on Roatan Island, Honduras.
- Represented a northeastern developer in the acquisition of a 5,000 acre golf course community in Palm Beach County, Florida.
- Represented a major nursing home and senior living owner-operator in the acquisition of their national headquarters building and restructuring of commercial master property owners association.
- Represented a major nursing home and senior living owner-operator in the acquisition of an assisted living facility through a loan purchase and an assisted living facility out of a bankruptcy 363 sale.
- Represented regional bank in syndicated lending for two-tower condominium project in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- Representing prominent developer in restructuring multiple project loans (commercial and residential development) with eight banks and the FDIC.
- Represented South Florida condominium developer in successful workouts and note sale for two projects in South Florida.
- Representing prominent Bahamas resort in negotiating flag, association and management agreements for project repositioning.
- Represented national bank in lending for condominium tower project in Aventura, Florida.
- Represented Broward County in connection with the Broward County Convention Center (located in Port Everglades) which required negotiation of complex ground lease, air rights, design-build and public/private funding issues.
- Represented a national developer in the acquisition of a 2,000 acre golf course/equity country club community.
- Represented a developer in the acquisition and development of a 900 lot residential project.
- Represented the Miami Heat in the development and construction document process for new arena projects.
- Represented Martin County, Florida in connection with the indoor air quality issues and litigation related to the Martin County Courthouse.
- Represented Florida-based general contractor on issues with water and mold damage to under-construction office building. Represented national environmental remediation firm on collection and defense of claim issues regarding condominium towers.
- Represented clients in copyright and trademark rights, including resolving issues regarding improper use of trademarks on the Internet and improper use of architectural plans.
- Represented financial institution in affordable housing tax credit-based lending in Florida.
- “Foreign Real Estate Investment is Here to Stay”, Daily Business Review, January 24, 2014
- “Persistence, Positive Outlook Always Pay Off. Real Estate Veteran: Career Spotlight”, Sun-Sentinel, September 29, 2013
- “From Litigation to Transactions: Real Estate Market Returning to ‘Normal’”, South Florida Legal Guide, May 2013
- “Fractionals: Why Now?”, Perspective Magazine’s GNEX Global Meeting of the Minds Conference, February 2012
- “Attorneys Help Equity Firm Acquire 670 Distressed Condo Units”, Daily Business Review, December 14, 2010
- “Banks Ponder What To Do With Seized, Undervalued Land”, Daily Business Review, September 27, 2010
- “The Pitfalls and Benefits of Successor Developer Rights and Obligations In Florida”, American Bankruptcy Institute, June 2010
- “Court Says Chinese Manufacturers Are to Blame, but Will They Pay?,” Daily Business Review, May 24, 2010
- “Tenants Bankruptcy Critical Provision In Today’s Leases”, Florida Real Estate Journal, Issue August 1‐15. 2009
- “Practicing Safe Sex (Er, Remediation)”, Indoor Environment Connection magazine, January 2007
- Featured in South Florida CEO magazine, The Real Estate Issue, September 2006
- “Legionella: It’s Not Just Mold,” Indoor Environment Connection magazine, July 2006
- “OSHA and PPE” Indoor Environment Connection magazine, May 2006
- Featured in “OF COUNSEL,” Florida Trend Magazine, April 2006
- “Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season,” Presentation to South Florida Building and Facilities Management Show, Broward County Convention Center, April 2005
- “Intellectual Property: Swords and Shields of Design Professionals”, The Construction Lawyer’s Toolbox, ABA Forum of the Construction Industry, May 2000
- Panel Moderator, Alliance of Corporate Real Estate Executives and Specialists (ACRES) Seminar, Boca Raton, Florida, “The $50 Billion Assisted and Independent Senior Living Industry” April 16, 2014
- Speaker, Alliance of Corporate Real Estate Executives and Specialists (ACRES) Seminar, Boca Raton, Florida, “General Legal Concerns in Buying ‘Loans to Own’ Florida Real Property” September 2012
- Speaker, GNEX Global Meeting of the Minds Conference, Cancun, Mexico, “Why Fractionals, Why Now?”, February 2, 2012
- Speaker, Alliance of Corporate Real Estate Executives and Specialists (ACRES) Seminar, “Chinese Dry Wall – How did this Happen? An update on the Current Situation,” July 2009
- Speaker, Information Management Network, Symposium on Distressed Real Estate, “Private Equity/Real Estate Opportunity Fund Roundtable” and “Fractured Condos: Condo To Rental Opportunities”, December 2008
- Speaker, Infocast, Opportunities In Distressed Real Estate Summit Southeast, “Current Opportunities In Exit Strategies, Repositioning Loan Modifications, Workouts And Restructuring”, December 2008
- Speaker, University of Florida, Real Estate Trends and Strategies Conference, “Reorganization, Workouts and Bankruptcy: Managing The Real Estate Crisis”, November 2008
- Speaker, IMN’s Distressed Real Estate Forum, March 2008 Speaker, Treasure Coast Builders Association, “Construction Contract Pitfalls”, June 2007
- Speaker, “Legal Issues of Building Owners, General Contractors and Builders, and Maintenance Firms for Hurricane Risk and Damage” May 2007
- Speaker, Developers and Builders Alliance, 2007 Symposium, “Design and Construction Innovation for Urban Development”